What is Settlement Status? – This is the status which gives you complete freedom from immigration control.*
To apply for it, you will need to have lived in the UK continuously and lawfully for a specified duration of time, normally for 5 years or 10 years depending on your status. Settlement is otherwise known as Indefinite Leave to Remain (“ILR”)
The Benefits of Gaining Settlement Status in the UK:
- You will enjoy unrestricted entry to the UK, that is freedom from immigration control*
- You will be free to work within the UK without restriction
- You may be eligible to apply for naturalization (British citizenship) within a further qualifying period, giving you the full benefits of a British Citizen
- It is important to note that should an individual with “ILR” remain absent from the UK for 2 consecutive years, the ILR status is likely to lapse.
What Are The Requirements For UK Settlement?
Eligibility for settlement depends on the type of visa that you currently have in the UK.
There are 3 types of visa of which you need one before you can apply:
- If you have a visa that already provides you with ‘settled status’ in the UK, you can apply for settlement after 5 years of continuous lawful residence. These visas would include a spouse, unmarried partner, civil partner visa. Click here to progress your application now; or
- If you have a ‘worker visa’, you can apply for settlement after 5 years of continuous lawful residence. Click here to progress your application now.
- Long Residence Rule – This rule enables individuals to become settled in the UK after either 10 years lawful continuous residence or 20 years unlawful continuous residence subject to requirements.
Benefits of Choosing Bond Adams:
- Same day visa services ensuring your passport is endorsed within 24 hours
- Extremely high success rate in these types of cases
- Fixed fees so you stay in control
- Direct access to qualified solicitors – with in-depth experience
- Specialist solicitors who can get the application right the first time
- Succeeded in complex cases where others have failed
- Helped hundreds of individuals & families settle in the UK, many of whom go on to become British citizens
- Free consultation with a specialist solicitor to assess your eligibility, avoid disappointment and wasted fees
- Wealth of experience and knowledge as to the best way forward for you and your family.
You may apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the United Kingdom if you are related to a person present and settled here under one of the following circumstances:
- Parent aged 18 or over;
- Brother of sister over the age of 18 or over; or
- Son or daughter aged 18 or over of a person (“the sponsor”) who is in the UK
If you are the sponsor’s parent or grandparent you must not be in a subsisting relationship with a partner unless that partner is also the sponsor’s parent or grandparent and is applying for entry clearance at the same time as you.
What Are The Requirements For A Dependant Relative Visa?
In order to qualify under this category, you must meet the following requirements:
The sponsor must at the date of the application be aged 18 years or over; and be:
- A British Citizen in the UK; or
- Present and settled in the UK; or
- In the UK with refugee leave or humanitarian protection.
- You or your partner as a result of age, illness or disability requires long-term personal care to perform everyday tasks.
The care you need is not available in the country where you are living, either because it is not available and there is no person in the country where you are living who can reasonably provide it or it is not affordable.
Your sponsor can show that he or she is able to provide adequate maintenance, accommodation and care for you without having to rely on public funds. Your sponsor will need to sign a sponsorship undertaking form to confirm that they will be responsible for your care without relying on public funds for a period of at least 5 years.
The Benefits of securing a Dependent Relative Visa:
- You will enjoy the ability to live and work in the UK with your loved ones
- If your application is successful, you will be granted Indefinite Leave to Enter the UK
- You will be free to travel in and out of the UK as you will be free from immigration control
- If you are away from the UK for 2 years or more continuously your indefinite leave to remain is likely to lapse.